Saturday, March 8, 2014

Seymour. 2014-03-08

Saturday, March 8, 2014

The second day of three days in the Adirondacks.


I hoped Saturday would offer a decent view but the weather wasn't very cooperative. Along the way I met 'ADK Strider' who was finishing his Winter 46 on Seymour. Three-quarters of the way up Seymour I met a hiker who I had met, briefly, during a hike to the Santanonis. What a small world!

The cloud ceiling began to drop and I pushed to the summit to get the last of the day's views. The Seward Range and the Santanonis were already shrouded so I felt fortunate to get even a meager view. I scribbled "CONGRATS W46" in the snow for ADK Strider and began a quick descent to the truck trail. Along the way down I met ADK Strider and then Andrew Lavigne whose travels, on his web-site have kept me entertained and informed.


Out and back to Seymour from the 'winter trail-head' (Raquette River trail-head') in 7h 20m. 

To kill time during the walk back, I thought of what I would have for supper. I returned to the hostel and cooked up a feast: Medium-rare 11 ounce rib-eye steak topped with sautéed cremini mushrooms and onions accompanied by brussels sprouts, green beans, potatoes and washed down with red wine. That night, I slept like a baby!


Although I didn't know it at the time, I later discovered that Seymour was my 46th solo peak and capped off my first solo round of the ADK 46.

Dramatic start to the day.

A feast fit for a king or a hungry hiker.

Photos

See all photos.




No comments:

Post a Comment